Volunteering in Thailand
If you prefer to travel with a purpose, rather than just for leisure, read on. Here we offer the following options to help maintain your travel-life balance by traveling with an intention to Chiang Mai. It is one of the greatest things you will ever do. Get yourself out of “I have to give my time for money” and start giving your time, your energy, your love and connect with who you are. It is a profound gift to yourself and to the world.
- Volunteer in one of Thailand´s many local community organizations (environment, children, elderly, development, health, teaching, animal preservation…). See videos here and here.
- Study (cuisine arts, Thai massage, Thai language, yoga, Buddhist meditation, herbal compresses, Thai healing arts..)
We provide visa assistance for anyone wanting to study, experience cultural immersion in a supported atmosphere and do volunteer work up to 20 hours a week in Thailand for one or two months.
We arrange the classes, visa documentation, retrieval, accommodation and insurance so that you can spend up to two months pursuing your passions and improving your life and professional experience.
Intern, Volunteer, Study, Teach English – Thailand:
Courses: language, massage, cooking, yoga
Select one-week course in:
Thai Cuisine Arts – Learn how to cook real Thai food in a traditional Thai setting, with skilled and friendly teachers who can impart the secrets of Thai cooking to you in a fun atmosphere.
Class size: 2-9 people. Includes:
- Recipe book
- All ingredients for cooking / Snacks / Drinks
- Transportation from/to your residence
Thai Massage – Level I – 5 days, 30 hours, 9 am to 4 pm. Prerequisite: None
- This course covers Front Position (feet to face)
- Introduces the concept of energy lines (SEN) and Yin/Yang
- This course covers Front Position (feet to face)
- Teaches stretches, acupressure points, and proper use of body weight using thumbs, palms, elbows, knees and feet
- Emphasizes deep-focused abdominal (Hara) work
- Upon completion students will be able to perform an effective 1 – 1 ½ hour Thai Massage
- A variety of yoga classes (Flow, Hatha, Yin), all taught with personal attention in a beautiful garden studio, surrounded by trees, plants and nature in the city center of Chiang Mai.
- A yoga lessons every day for a week, open to everyone, with or without experience.
- Each session has its own theme, but in all classes focus on increasing flexibility, strengthening and toning the muscles, breathing and relaxation.
- Mats provided. Wear comfortable clothing; come with a somewhat empty stomach.
Buddhist meditation – 2 day meditation retreat teaching concentration and Vipassana Meditation, which is the way to make the mind peaceful.
- Can be combined with yoga lessons.
- Sit in on chanting and meditation sessions.
- Have a meal with resident monks.
Healing Arts including Tai Chi, Qi Gong, Detox, Acupuncture, Chakra Balancing, Herbal Compresses, Chi Nei Tsang stomach massage, Thai reflexology, Reiki …..and more!
- All courses are taught in English.
- The schools are located in the heart of the city, close to accommodation and a plethora of food vendors and restaurants to satisfy all tastes and budgets.
- All schools provide: Placement test (where applicable), Course materials, Orientation, Wifi, End of course certificate
You can start the program the almost any Monday year long, barring holidays. Examples of timing options:
A. Complete your classes in the mornings and then begin the internship or volunteer work.
B. Come and start the classes and consecutively the internship/volunteering, one in the morning and one in the afternoons.
- Volunteer Program with classes in yoga, cooking, etc.: 900 euros/month, up to 2 months which includes a 300 euro non-refundable deposit.
- Study Thai Massage Program: 1000 euros/week including full-time course, official certification, accommodation within walking distance, transfers, local coordinator and farewell dinner.
- 300 Euros with registration form, required before BEST engages in the placement process.
- This deposit is deductible from your final bill and refundable as per our Refund Policy.
- Remainder upon placement with the host company/organization, school and issuance of visa.
* The deposit will be returned if your tourist visa is denied, upon submission of the consulate’s denial letter except for an administrative service charge. In the case of student cancellation none of the deposits are returnable.
Link for currency exchange rates from Euros to other currencies are found here.
Fee includes according to the program:
- In serviced guest houses with other program participants in the city center.
- Individual room and bath or shared accommodation with one other program participant. You can request a description with photos beforehand.
- Orientation meeting with local coordinator: includes tourist and city information and transportation and communication details – including a map and explanation of the transportation, currency, communication details (cell phones and email), phone number for inquiries locally and safety tips.
- Airport transfers. We include a service for airport pickup which provides a person to be waiting for you at the exit of the arrival lounge at the airport. They will take you to your accommodation and when you leave, return you to the airport.
3) Internship/Volunteer Post
- According to availability, one month internship in an area of your choice. We request that you give us three possible areas.
4) Classes in Thai Massage
- Our internationally renowned Thai Massage School affords a practical high quality massage training. Outstanding courses include therapist training and the art of Thai Traditional Massage (Nuad bo Rarn). The school is accredited by the Ministry of Education, and is an attractive and friendly venue for people from all over the world.
- Translation of documents: 30 Euros/page. (Organizations and firms often want a professionally translated resume/CV).
Extra Fees (if applicable)
- Rush Processing Fee: 100 Euros – Students who apply to Best Programs 8 weeks or less from their intended date of arrival will be required to pay a 100 Euro rush processing fee.
- Final Payment Late Fee: 100 Euros – Final payment for services is due at least 21 days before your arrival in country or you will be charged a 100 Euro late fee.
- Robbery and Cancellation insurance.
- Meals (Normally very cheap and can be budgeted at 5 euros a day).